After four straight seasons of love triangles, heartbreaking tragedies and jaw-dropping twists on Virgin River, you’re probably dying to know what’s next for Mel and Jack. To hold you over until the season 5 premiere, we compiled a list of 15 addictive shows like Virgin River. From Sweet Magnolias to Hart of Dixie, here’s what you need to add to your queue ASAP.
Craving More Shows like ‘Virgin River’? Here Are 15 You Can Stream Right Now
1. From Scratch
- Cast: Zoë Saldaña, Eugenio Mastrandrea
Amy travels to Italy to explore the world of art and to get a fresh start. While there, she meets a charming chef named Lino who changes everything.
- Cast: Lily Collins, Ashley Park, Lucas Bravo, Lucien Laviscount
Emily receives a culture shock when she’s transferred to the Parisian branch of her media company. Sure, the show takes place in France (and not a small town like Virgin River), but it follows the same theme of starting fresh in a new place.
- Cast: Treat Williams, Gregory Smith, Emily VanCamp, Debra Mooney, John Beasley, Vivien Cardone, Chris Pratt, Justin Baldoni
After the death of his wife, Dr. Andrew Brown, a successful neurosurgeon, leaves Manhattan and moves with his children to the small town of Everwood, Colorado. But getting a fresh start proves to be significantly more challenging than he expected.
- Cast: JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Brooke Elliott, Heather Headley, Logan Allen, Justin Bruening, Chris Klein, Jamie Lynn Spears
The feel-good series follows three childhood friends living in South Carolina. Maddie, Helen and Dana continue to support one another as they try to balance their relationships and careers.
- Cast: Jesse Metcalfe, Meghan Ory, Barbara Niven, Laci J. Mailey
Based on the books by Sherryl Woods, the show revolves around Abby, a mother who returns to her hometown, Chesapeake Shores, Maryland, with her daughters to save her sister's inn from foreclosure.
- Cast: William Baldwin, Kathleen Robertson, Michelle Nolden, Sebastien Roberts
Meet the reincarnation of Everwood, where Baldwin stars as a widowed rescue commander who relocates with his family to a small town in Boston.
- Cast: Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Melissa McCarthy, Keiko Agena, Scott Patterson, Yanic Truesdale
Graham and Bledel star as the iconic mother-daughter duo, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, who live together in a quirky, charming small town called Stars Hollow. Though the series maintains an overall light-hearted feel, it tackles a number of deep topics, from family conflict to teen pregnancy.
- Cast: James Van Der Beek, Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson
Think of it as Virgin River's spunkier little cousin—complete with all the teen angst. The classic teen drama follows aspiring filmmaker Dawson Leery and his best friends Katie, Joey and Jen, in the fictional small town of Capeside, Massachusetts.
- Cast: Erin Krakow, Daniel Lissing, Lori Loughlin, Martin Cummins
Set during the 19th-century, a high society teacher is tasked with adjusting to small town life after receiving an assignment in the Western Frontier, which is recovering from a coal mining disaster.
10. Firefly Lane
- Cast: Katherine Heigl, Sarah Chalke, Ben Lawson, Beau Garrett
Based on Kristin Hannah's novel, this poignant drama tells the story of longtime BFFs Tully and Kate, whose friendship evolves as they support one another through the ups and downs of relationships and their careers.
- Cast: David Giuntoli, Romany Malco, Allison Miller, Christina Moses, Christina Ochoa, Grace Park, James Roday Rodriguez
Set in Boston, a group of close friends are shaken when they discover that a member in their circle has died by suicide. As they struggle to cope with this unexpected loss, they begin to realize the importance of maintaining genuine friendships.
12. This Is Us
- Cast: Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, Sterling K. Brown, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson, Chris Sullivan
Like Virgin River, This Is Us addresses family relationships and drama, but you might want to keep the tissues close as you watch. The series follows the everyday lives of three siblings (aka the Big Three) and their parents, Jack and Rebecca Pearson. Expect a lot of twists, cliffhangers and heartfelt moments.
- Cast: Amber Marshall, Graham Wardle, Michelle Morgan, Shaun Johnston
It’s a wholesome, family-friendly drama that centers on Amy, a teenager who struggles to deal with the loss of her mother while navigating the ups and downs of life on a horse ranch. There are 14 seasons available to stream, so this one will keep you occupied for a while.
14. Chasing Life
- Cast: Italia Ricci, Mary Page Keller, Richard Brancatisano, Haley Ramm, Aisha Dee
Chasing Life centers on an incredibly brave young journalist named April, whose life is turned upside down when she learns that she has leukemia. To make matters even more complicated, April aslo has to deal with an awkward love triangle between her boyfriend, Dominic, and the free-spirited Leo, who also has cancer.
15. Hart of Dixie
- Cast: Rachel Bilson, Jaime King, Cress Williams, Wilson Bethel
Bilson stars as Zoe Hart, a New Yorker who relocates to a small town in Alabama to take over her late father’s medical practice. She finds it difficult to adjust to her new surroundings, but things might not be so bad after all—thanks to a charming bartender.